To further encourage young researchers to engage with the scientific community, the IAA, in cooperation with other parties, has started some initiatives to try and help them further along. These initiatives include:
- The IAA Prize for Best First Article, awarded for the best Assyriological article written after the Ph.D.
- The IAA Dissertation Prize in Assyriology and Mesopotamian archaeology. The funding for this award is intended to provide assistance for the publication of the dissertation.
- The IAA Subsidies for Cuneiform Studies, a yearly grant meant for (starting) Assyriologists in need of funds of their research.
- IAA Fund for recent PHDs for RAI attendance. The award is meant for scholars who completed their PhD within the past eight years and do not receive funding for taking part in the Rencontre Assyriologique Internationale (RAI), the annual Assyriological congress.
- The De Gruyter Award has been cancelled.
Please visit the individual pages for more information on these initiatives, such as rules and regulations, application forms and application deadlines. Please keep in mind that these are open contests and applications will again be taken into consideration for the following year.